Sub-genres of horrorcore

The latest news from the up-and-comers in the horrorcore genre.
fatphrank
Site Admin

Sub-genres of horrorcore

Post by fatphrank »

It's arguable that horrorcore, a sub-genre in and of itself, has always been able to be broken down even further. Necro's Death Rap was always different from Scum/LSP's Gore Hop, which was also different from ICP's The Wicked Shit.

Since the old forums went out of commission, I think it is safe to say that even more sub-genres have emerged. Stuff like phonk (even though it's kind of always been around since early Three 6 days) is becoming more popular, as well as even some darker Trap Metal stuff. What other sub-genres can you think of? Are you a fan of the couple that I've already mentioned.
HorrorcoreWiki
Crossworm

Re: Sub-genres of horrorcore

Post by Crossworm »

IMO if the content is horrorcore, it's just horrorcore.

all the sub-sub genres are really just letting people know what other genre they wrap around the lyrical content, and you could probably do that perpetually.

I don't hear much of a difference between most of them. That's not a bad thing. Consistency is a good thing and brings fans together. But I think sub genres arise moreso from feeling unincluded, versus actually being something way different.
D I R T C O R E M U S I C
fatphrank
Site Admin

Post by fatphrank »

Crossworm wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:04 am IMO if the content is horrorcore, it's just horrorcore.

all the sub-sub genres are really just letting people know what other genre they wrap around the lyrical content, and you could probably do that perpetually.

I don't hear much of a difference between most of them. That's not a bad thing. Consistency is a good thing and brings fans together. But I think sub genres arise moreso from feeling unincluded, versus actually being something way different.
I actually do think there is a noticeable difference between a lot of these sub-genres. To me, it's almost like saying all sub-genres of horror films are the same, while we all know that a slasher flick is different from a supernatural ghost story which is different from a werewolf movie which is different from a... you get the idea.
HorrorcoreWiki
ComicVomit

Post by ComicVomit »

Idk how you'd label it but I feel like allot of horrorcore reflects different eras or even subgenres of hip hop.

Take Komatose for example, his rapping style (multisyllabic bars, flow, etc) definitely sounds more aligned with 80s and 90s hip hop or even backpacker/boom bap kind of rap.

Someone like Darby O'Trill while obviously influenced by all kinds of horrorcore and wicked shit has a sound allot more connected to more recent trends in hip hop such as trap beats. He also pulls from the whole emo trap/Gothboiclique kind of sound at times.

I feel like horrorcore, as a subgenre of hip hop, often changes with the times too.
Jøhn Wayne Gu¢¢i
fatphrank
Site Admin

Post by fatphrank »

ComicVomit wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:15 pm Idk how you'd label it but I feel like allot of horrorcore reflects different eras or even subgenres of hip hop.

Take Komatose for example, his rapping style (multisyllabic bars, flow, etc) definitely sounds more aligned with 80s and 90s hip hop or even backpacker/boom bap kind of rap.

Someone like Darby O'Trill while obviously influenced by all kinds of horrorcore and wicked shit has a sound allot more connected to more recent trends in hip hop such as trap beats. He also pulls from the whole emo trap/Gothboiclique kind of sound at times.

I feel like horrorcore, as a subgenre of hip hop, often changes with the times too.
You're def right about it changing with the times. That's kind of why I mentioned that new sub genres have definitely popped up over the last few years.

Groups like $uicideboy$ don't wanna be called horrorcore, but Scrim cites Lord and Koop as two of his biggest influences. Lord was calling himself the King of Horrorcore for a good bit before he passed, so there is no denying that those dudes make some straight horror rap shit. Hah

New styles will always pop up... it just depends if the people doing said styles wanna admit that they are horrorcore or not.
HorrorcoreWiki
ComicVomit

Post by ComicVomit »

fatphrank wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:21 pm You're def right about it changing with the times. That's kind of why I mentioned that new sub genres have definitely popped up over the last few years.

Groups like $uicideboy$ don't wanna be called horrorcore, but Scrim cites Lord and Koop as two of his biggest influences. Lord was calling himself the King of Horrorcore for a good bit before he passed, so there is no denying that those dudes make some straight horror rap shit. Hah

New styles will always pop up... it just depends if the people doing said styles wanna admit that they are horrorcore or not.
That's a good point. There are quite a few artist who have at least some music fall in the realm of horrorcore but don't actually embrace that genre title. I don't know exactly how Jakprogresso feels about the horrorcore title anymore. On Random Violence he def says the word horrorcore in a few songs and he is definitely embraces the genre but I don't know how he feels about it now. He still has all the dark and violent imagery but its more abstracts now and less about being a serial killer. Sadistik is another artist who def feels like hes at least influenced by horrorcore and has a bunch of songs that could definitely fit within the genre.

I might make a new thread focused on the more horrorcore side of his discography.
Jøhn Wayne Gu¢¢i
fatphrank
Site Admin

Post by fatphrank »

ComicVomit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 pm
I might make a new thread focused on the more horrorcore side of his discography.
Please do. I don't know his music at all, so I'd like to be pointed in the right direction. Also, the more threads on here, the better. I don't wanna talk to myself anymore! Haha
HorrorcoreWiki
Crossworm

Post by Crossworm »

fatphrank wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:39 am
Crossworm wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:04 am IMO if the content is horrorcore, it's just horrorcore.

I actually do think there is a noticeable difference between a lot of these sub-genres. To me, it's almost like saying all sub-genres of horror films are the same, while we all know that a slasher flick is different from a supernatural ghost story which is different from a werewolf movie which is different from a... you get the idea.
I agree with that.

But at the same time I think it's overdone, and largely unnecessary. I think over-categorization is something that should be DIScouraged.
D I R T C O R E M U S I C

Return to “Wicked Underground”